Planned Giving

United For The Future

It is easy to include United Way of the National Capital Area in your will, estate, and planned giving. Here are some of the most popular ways to do so.

1) Name United Way as a beneficiary in your will

A bequest provision can be included in your will when you draft it or as a codicil amending your existing will. This arrangement provides you with flexibility and control should your circumstances change. You can designate an exact amount, an asset, or a percentage of the assets in your estate. We can provide you with the necessary details for including United Way of the National Capital Area in your will.

2) IRA Charitable Rollover

The IRA charitable rollover is a great way for you to make a gift to support United Way. These gifts will help sustain our important work in the community.

  • The IRA rollover allows donors 70½ or older to transfer up to $100,000 directly from their IRA to United Way on an annual basis.
  • An IRA rollover gift is a tax-exempt distribution. Qualifying individuals can make charitable gifts using pre-tax IRA assets rather than taking a distribution, paying income taxes and using after tax assets to make a charitable gift.
  • An IRA rollover gift can be used to meet all or part of an IRA’s annual required minimum distribution.

Frances, a donor, has an IRA from which she must now make minimum required distributions. After discussion with a United Way gift officer, she decides to gift directly to United Way, directing $15,000 of her annual minimum distribution to the United Way, thereby avoiding any additional income taxes as well as knowing that her gift will help strengthen her community. She pledges to continue making IRA rollover gifts in future years.

3) Make an outright gift of cash, appreciated stock, or real estate

This is an excellent technique for individuals in the highest tax bracket, those who have sold a business, or received a signifi cant bonus and could benefit from an immediate tax deduction.

Mary and Bob are both highly paid professionals and received large bonuses this year. Unfortunately, a significant portion of this year’s bonus will go to taxes. Mary and Bob also have a stock portfolio of highly appreciated stock. They decide to contribute stock they purchased many years ago for $50,000 that is now worth $200,000. Because this stock is being transferred to United Way, they will not have to pay capital gains tax. United Way will benefit and Mary and Bob will receive a significant income tax deduction.

4) Charitable Gift Annuity

Are you looking for a way to provide yourself or a loved one with a fi xed payment for life while leaving a lasting legacy in your community? If so, a charitable gift annuity might be the right option for you. A charitable gift annuity is a contract between you and United Way in which you transfer cash or appreciated assets in exchange for a guaranteed, fi xed payment for life. Best of all, you receive a charitable deduction for the value of the future gift to the United Way and the satisfaction of helping to guarantee that United Way will continue the unselfi sh dedication in providing needed services to our communities. Charitable gift annuities can be set up with one or two income benefi ciaries. The minimum age is 60 and the minimum amount to establish an annuity is $25,000. Payments can be made on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.

Sarah is a loyal contributor. She’s retired and a volunteer with United Way. After reading about the charitable gift annuity and understanding the benefits, Sarah decides to establish a charitable gift annuity for $50,000. Based on her age of 70, she will receive a yearly annuity of $2,550 for the rest of her life. She will also receive a nice charitable deduction of $20,496. Sarah feels a sense of pride knowing that when she passes, her gift will assist United Way in fighting for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss options to help you ensure your legacy. Contact or call 202-488-2030.