As we plan for a major snowstorm, United Way NCA would like to remind you to use 2-1-1 if you or a neighbor needs help.
2-1-1 can help you if you are without power, out of food, or need shelter and other vital services. This is a free, region-wide information and referral hotline and it’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
2-1-1 operators navigate the maze of service agencies in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC, and streamline the process to connect you to the help you need right away. It’s a lifeline for people in trouble who don’t know where to start. We can point you in the right direction.
If you need help, call 2-1-1, or visit http://www.211metrodc.org for more information.
Please note that 2-1-1 is not an emergency response system. If you have a life threatening emergency, always call 9-1-1.
If you are having difficulty dialing 2-1-1 on your cell phone, the following direct dial numbers will connect you to 2-1-1 in your jurisdiction:
- District of Columbia – (202) 463-6211
- Maryland – (800) 492-0618
- Community Crisis Services, Hyattsville, MD — (301) 864-7161
- Frederick County – (301) 662-2255
- Virginia – (800) 230-6977
Be safe and be prepared.
- Pepco Weather the Storm Fact Sheet
- Pepco’s Storm Emergency Handbook
- How to Winterize Your Vehicle (video)
- Cold weather safety tips for your pets
- Avoiding Hypothermia
Emergency Utility Numbers
- Pepco: To report an outage, call 1-877-737-2662 or visit http://www.pepco.com/outage-center.
- Dominion Power: To report a power outage, call 1-866-366-4357 or visit www.dom.com.
- Northern Virginia Cooperative: To report an outage, call 703-335-0500 or 1-888-335-0500, or report the outage online at www.novec.com.
- Baltimore Gas and Electric (BG&E): To report the smell of gas or downed power lines, call 1-877-778-2222 or 1-800-685-0123 or visit http://outagemap.bge.com.